Tuesday, December 12, 2006

It's a GIRL!!

We are having a girl! And we are sooo excited!

We had another doctor's appointment last Thursday and everything looks really good. Kirk and I left the appointment debating on going to Fetal Fotos or not and finally we couldn't handle the surprise anymore and so off we went!

We are SOOO glad that we ended up going. Not just because we were able to find out what we are having but because the experience in and of itself was incredible. The nurse that did the ultra sounds was so great and made the experience for Kirk and I one we will never forget.

The nurse first led us into a small, cozy room, with the lights dimmed and sweet lullabys playing. I laid on a cushy table (much better than the doctor's office) that was in the middle of a couple of monitors and the big machine, they do not want you to miss a thing. She poured the warm jelly on my belly and then pushed record (they record the entire experience on a DVD for you) and Kirk and I began the journey into the womb where were able to watch our little girl move and play for about half an hour. It was the sweetest experience, the ultra sound was so clear, and we could see every little limb and a lot of body detail. At one point she looked right at us and were able to zoom in on her sweet face. She had her legs crossed at the ankles almost the entire time, and she LOVES her hands to be up around her face (she began with them crossed under her chin). The nurse said she thinks that we have "a thumb sucker" on our hands.

The nurse was sensitive to the fact that this was our first baby and that we just wanted to enjoy watching her for a little while. She just sat there with us, moving around the camera so we could see the baby from all different angles and watch her move. At one point we must have made her(meaning the baby) mad, because the little sweetie curled up in a real tight ball and then quickly shot both her arms and legs straight out as if to say "Leave me alone, I am trying to sleep! :)" (We know where she gets that attitude)

The nurse could not tell right away if she was a boy or a girl because she did not want to un-cross those feet. So the nurse turned off the DVD recording and had me lay on my left side for about 5 minutes to see if we could get her to move around. She said this trick works most of the time; laying on the side makes the baby shift to get comfortable again. It worked! As soon as I rolled onto my back again, the nurse placed the camera on my belly and we were able to look right at her little bum....soo cute! The nurse took a few moments to get a good look and then looked at both Kirk and I and said, "it looks like you have a little girl". Of course I started to cry and Kirk looked at the nurse and said "Are you serious?" I think we were both a little shocked....for some reason, we thought it might be a boy and we had already decided that he was going to be named Daxton! HaHa!

I think the moment she told us were were having a girl was very special for both Kirk and I....it was the climax of the experience as a whole. I felt the spirit very strong at that time, and know that this little girl is meant to be a part of our family. How excited we are for that!

After the exciting discovery, we continued to watch her play a little bit. She moved her hands away from her face long enough to open and close them a few times. We could actually see all the fingers on each hand. It was amazing!

Kirk and I are excited to be parents....the little sweetie, as she is called right now, seems to be doing fine and we are having so much fun thinking of names for her and shopping for anything PINK! We went Christmas shopping on Saturday night and it was hard for us to veer away from the baby isles in order to get our shopping done! We always seemed to walk right towards the baby section first thing! At the end of the night, I was soo tired and Kirk looked at me and said "I could do this all night. All I want to do is spend money on the baby right now, I don't care about anything I want." For those of you who know Kirk well and know that he usually has quite the list, you will probably find this as sweet as I did.

Ali arrived this week and brought with her the cutest little swimsuit from Gap. It is pink :) with a 3-D yellow and orage pineapple on the front. Its almost so small its hard to imagine the baby will ever be that tiny. But it will be perfect for Bear Lake since we will be going a couple of months after she is born and she will need a swimsuit! Carlye also gave us some adorable onsies last night, there are 5 of them, each with a different design in all shades of pink. To look in the baby's closet right now might bring a few laughs, it consists of a swim suit and a few onsies....what more could a girl ask for!!?? (Thanks aunties, we love you!)

Missy

1 comment:

Les said...

Wow! Awesome to read about the great news! We are so excited for both of you. Sounds like she already has a little personality. Congratulations! Now Gus has a future date.